Happy Unique Complex Password Day!
12.01 AM on the first Thursday in May saw the dawning of this year's World Password Day.
So I could wish you 'Happy World Password Day'.
But I would rather wish you a Happy Unique Complex Password Day instead!
Why wish you a Happy Unique Complex Password Day?
Using any old password will not protect you for more than a few seconds in the face of a brute force attack.
If you want to protect your Joomla! website or anything else from a brute force attack then you MUST use a UNIQUE and COMPLEX password for every application and website you use.
Use a UNIQUE password for your
- Joomla! CMS Control Panel login,
- Hosting Control Panel login,
- FTP login (when separate credentials are supported by your hosting company),
- email account, and
- every other application you can think of.
Use a COMPLEX password when you do
- 16 + characters.
- no repetition, usernames, dictionary words, letter or number sequences,
- not using relative or pet names, likes, dislikes, romantic links (current or past), or biographical information (e.g., ID numbers, ancestors' names or dates) - or anything you publish in your social media profile!
- numbers and special characters as well as letters (Exampl: . - _ ! " £ $ % ).
- upper-case and lower-case letters,
- random, and
Find out more useful password info when using passwords in our Joomla! CMS Security Guide, including:
WYNCHCO Joomla! CMS Support
We coach, help and support managers with responsibility for Joomla! websites in organisations across Cheshire, Manchester, Merseyside, North West England & the UK.