Giving an Internet of Things device this Xmas?
Use by your friend or loved one of an IoT device could form the weak link which leads to a breach of their home or office security; both if they work from home!
Read on if you want to avoid aiding and abetting the hackers.
Questions to ask before using an IoT device
Ask yourself the following questions before giving an IoT device as a gift.
- Is it really useful or needed?
- Is the device's software supported by regular updates?
- Is it possible to change the default username & password?
Obviously if the answer to (3) above is NO then it would be kinder to give them something else!
Things to remember when getting started with an IoT device
Add the following to a note and include it with your gift.
- Change the default username & password right at the outset.
- Regularly check for updates.
- Think carefully before enabling a "port forward" to permit remote login to your device.
Using a weak username and password will make an IoT device vulnerable to hackers who will also be able to access it.
If when the hackers call the IoT device is connected to a network then the hackers will have access to every connected device.
WYNCHCO Joomla! CMS Support
We coach, help and support managers with responsibility for Joomla! websites in organisations across Cheshire, Manchester, Merseyside, North West England & the UK.